• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

show me, who i am and who i could be; ashley
    show me, who I am and who I could be,
    It had felt different once, different at first, when the world unbecame and the ragged seams holding all things together finally buckled and burst and tore apart. It felt like the end of something, of everything, it felt awful and final- lonely. There was too much change to fathom, too much new and not enough same. But somehow the dust settled and everyone seemed to find their place, found it and carved it out of this reborn world. Territories were established- not quite herds, not quite kingdoms, something that fell in the in-between. They were places for friends and families to come together and feel safe again, places were old alliances found new strength. It made it easier to look for what had been lost, who, all the faces that had watched her from the dark of her dreams for many uncertain months. She knew where they were now, all of them.

For awhile she thought she would pick one of the territories for herself, a new home since her mountains and snow were long lost. Tephra would have been a natural choice, the territory given to her parents, her family, her people. It was, arguably, the closest thing she had to home, even the sharp, dark stone of the volcano peeking through the lower clouds rang with a familiarity in her heart that left her weak-kneed and homesick. But it was home, even if it pretended to be, and after the longing faded all she could feel in her chest was dissonance. So she stayed away, for now at least. There were other places too, more than she had expected to pop up, but Tobiah made it easy to want to stay in the quiet places, melted against dark and shadow among the trees that edged the meadow. He seemed most content in these quiet places, and she felt most content when she stood at his shoulder with his shadow draped across her dark skin.

Home felt like this, she was certain.

She slips quietly from the trees, abandoning their shade and protection for the openness of the meadow, for the blanket of new snow that settled like a feathery glaze over everything. The last time she had seen snow here, she had also found company in the form of a rather disgruntled buckskin stallion. Even now, she can remember how he had prickled at her touch, can remember the agitation in his voice as he answered her prying questions. There is a smile on her lips as she remembers him, and it doesn’t fade when she pauses to turn her dark eyes out and across a white and blue landscape. Winter feels like home, and the snow soothes that familiar ache in her belly when she at last continues on, closing her eyes and lifting her face to a warming morning sun.

When she opens her eyes again, feeling the coolness that only a shadow passing across skin can cast, it is to the face that had appeared in her thoughts only moments before. “Oh!” She says, surprised, as she draws to a halt again. She is about to reach out and stroke the gold of his dappled neck again, but she remembers how poorly he had taken to it before and chooses to refrain. Instead, she steps out of his shadow and into the sun again, settling close beside him with that smile softening the edges of her dark and bright mouth. “I was just thinking about you.” She confesses after a moment, peering up at him sideways from beneath the wild tangles of an unruly forelock. Then, in a voice that is a soft as the smile etched against her mouth, she asks, “Do you like this world any better, now?”
    initiate the heart within me until it opens properly

<333

It’s the agitation that has festered in boils and scars in the bucksin’s red cloak as he drapes his wings across his chest. Of course, you cannot see it, for he does not let you. This pretty little face he pretends to put upon the world is not what he seeks to be, and instead, he is forever reminded that there are those alive here today who would cease to be if he had not walked upon this ground as King. How many there were, he was not sure, and without the magic that had plagued his blood, he had been unable to see any of them. Just get a funny little feeling regarding their parentage—a look, a body shape, eye color. He had had one such encounter with the starry-eyed one. Australis. He remembered her well.

She was the one who couldn’t stop talking.

Incessant, on and on, she had slathered him with questions about life and love, and eventually his family. He had stayed on to chat as long as he could stomach without hurling all over her, before turning his red rump back to whatever direction he had come from. And yet now, he found that from his place in the shadow—rightly blocking out the sun—this girl is back for more, having recognized him and choosing for whatever reason to commune with the sun, as shallow and cold as it may be considering that it is winter. She is not afraid of him, and he looks at her with all the side eye he can muster, but even without saying Hello, or any sort of pleasantries, she jumps right back into to talking… as if she’d never stopped.

He took a breath, and a sardonic smile slid across his face as he shook his head. He could not get a word in edgewise, and yet as he stood there, he felt the prickles melt away only slightly. He still has a reputation to maintain. He’s still an old man batting away the kids with a stick.
    When in Rome, as they say. “This world is not what it was, and it would be foolish to compare apples to oranges, Australis. You make each day what it is worth. Some are worth far more than others. Some moments, on the other hand, are completely useless. It is up to you to distinguish between the two.”

Ashley peeled back some, his nostrils flaring with each exhale as snow started to fall around them. It was cold. “Why were you thinking about me, then? Nothing better to do while you talk the ears off anyone who will listen to you?”

ashley
    I walked the path, it led me to the end.
    show me, who I am and who I could be,
    She is afraid of little, if anything at all. She had always been protected in some way, either by her home in the Tundra’s mountains, or by the sheer vastness of her family. No one had ever allowed harm to come to the bay and white girl, no one had ever let her down. Even when the world had exploded, come irreversibly undone at the seams, she had still managed to find Tobiah, to find her family. She was lucky that way - impossibly unbroken, untouched by shadow in a world of perpetual dark.

Australis is quiet at his side, content with this closeness in a way that he is not. Where her desire for conversation has him rattled, her quiet questions leave him irritated, she more patient when he gives her that almost wary side-eye, almost bemused when he shakes his head at her. Tobiah hadn’t been entirely delighted with her persistence either, but she had managed to win him over eventually – enough that he had come to find her when the world unbecame. She felt certain she would be able to win the buckskin over, too.

“It’s not as different as I thought it would be.” She tells him at last, not bothering to lift her dark eyes from the snowy landscape to his sharp face. “On the surface, yes, it’s new and different. But at its core things are trying to return to what they were.” She is thinking of the Kingdoms, of how old had come together to form something new, something not quite same but still so close. But then her brow furrows and those eyes do shift to his face, to the wings on his back that had not been there before. “But I suppose it’s more different for you.” Unlike Ashely, and this generation he had blamed, Australis had never possessed any kind of magic of her own. She had not noticed its absence as so many others had.

The snow falls around them and for a moment she pushes the buckskin from her mind, choosing instead to close her eyes and lift that dark, delicate face to the approaching storm. This was what made her heart hurt, what bred longing and sorrow together in her chest. Little slices of the life she had known before, of a life that was over. This world had mountains, but they were not her mountains. She sighs and opens her eyes again, turning her head to find his gaze. “The snow,” she tells him as if it should be obvious, “last time it snowed, I was with you.” And then, because she’s curious, because sometimes she thinks she catches him looking at her oddly, because he pokes fun at her willingness to talk, “Why don’t you like me?”
    initiate the heart within me until it opens properly
    Why don’t you like me?

Now, that took him aback. No one had ever been quite so forward with him before. At least, none who appeared to genuinely want nothing from him other than his company. It wasn’t necessarily that he disliked her. It was that she was related to him. That and the constant chatter.

He hated chatter for chatter’s sake. It was just… grating on the nerves.

The snow continued to fall, and Ashley’s thick lashes became heavily coated in the stuff before he turned back to the girl and lowered his head to meet her in the eyes, his large wings tucked around him like a cloak in an effort to keep warm. “It is nothing personal, I assure you. Or maybe it is and you just don’t know it. But I guess I now told you.” Now he was purposefully being an ass. The ginger was indeed soulless.

It was no surprise, his surliness. He had seen finally in her what had seemed so familiar from last time. She was his progeny. 4 generations aside, this is what his blood had become. A chatty little girl who had no sense of danger, and the eyes of a doe. No magical abilities to speak of, and no way of being able distinguish between them—as if she had no care or need of the stuff. Australis—the starry-eyed one with no magic.

Ironic, that.

Ashley snorted. “It’s so hard to believe you’re one of mine.”
    ashley
    I walked the path, it led me to the end.