• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  you could be the light in my dark night; neverwhere
    She doesn’t mean for the tension to reach her eyes, for it to freeze the line that is already forming on her dark muzzle. Lilli can see Neverwhere tilt her head and the chestnut mare gives involuntary shiver, trying to free herself of the demons. It ripples down her back though the crimson girl thinks she can still feel them, their ghosts still able to conjure fear in those wild eyes. Lilli swallows and looks away from the dappled mare, letting her gaze drift away to nowhere in particular. ”Monsters are everywhere,” the young mare says, suddenly feeling too melancholy.

It is a heavy topic and one too burdensome for Lilli to think about today.

She takes a small piece of information from Nevewhere and regains control of herself. She focuses on that and Lilli banishes everything else away. The monsters can stay where they deserve, in the recesses of her mind where someday hopefully the memory will fade. Her attention turns back to the silver mare and Lilli looks back to her, hoping to learn a little bit more about Neverwhere and the place she has come from. ”No magic?” she asks, the idea an unfamiliar one. ”So you didn’t have any healers or prophets?” Lilli finds herself genuinely intrigued now, wondering about Never’s birth lands.

The young mare continues a steady pace, making sure that she doesn’t get too far from her new traveling companion with the occasional glance back to Neverwhere. Each time she does though, she sees the mare moving comfortably. The chestnut shakes her head, mainly at herself, and thinks that Neverwhere was a rather remarkable and resourceful mare. ”We had magic,” Lilli offers in return. ”My father came from a long line of airbenders and it was said he could summon a hurricane in a moment.” Lilli laughs softly then, remembering golden Valerio with no recollection of ever seeing him call a storm or gale. ”He used to shake flowers from my favorite cherry tree. The blossoms would fall and he would make them dance for my sister and I,” she remembers, one of the few memories she has of the Guardian.

”There’s a low hanging branch ahead.. it’s probably best to move to the other side of trail,” and so so the chestnut repeats the process of being meticulous with her steps, making sure that Neverwhere can hear and sense her as she moves from one side of the path to the other. The young mare gives a vigilant stare through the trees, still suspicious that something could be lurking as the shadows grew longer. One ear remains forward and continues to swivel, listening for the sounds of the babbling river she hopes is nearby, while the other flicks back to Neverwhere.

She waits and listens, letting the gray mare tell a little more about the place she came from. A high desert? Lilli had honestly never known the difference so she listens to Neverwhere’s explanation. ”I never knew it could snow in the desert..,” she replies, fascinated with the thought. She has been too much of her mother’s daughter to want to remain (or want to go) where it is hot but the idea of ice and snow and frost going through Neverwhere’s desert is an interesting one. ”I was born in a place called Murmuring Rivers.. it was small and we had a lot of rivers,” she adds rather cheekily, taking a moment to grin back at her companion. She looks forward again, trying to turn her attention to finding their way through the path as dusk continues to pass them by.

”What was your family like Neverwhere? Any brothers or sisters?” she asks, hoping to keep herself occupied as they continue to trek on. It is only Never’s next comment that causes her to slow down and she looks back to the mare, her features alight with interest. ”I’ve heard that Pangea might have some deserts.. I can’t say if it is a high desert like yours.” And then she exhales, thinking of her wish to see the Forbidden Dale. It is only then that the faintest of sounds reaches her ears and Lilli turns her head away from Neverwhere, lifts it higher and listens.

The soothing sound of running water reaches comes clear through the silence and Lilliana can smell it, that lovely, pure scent it always carries with it. They weren’t far. She laughs and in her eagerness, she turns her beaming face to the mare behind her. ”Do you hear that?” she asks, her voice rising suddenly with a mixture of relief and joy.

It was the River and it sounded as if they weren’t far away at all. The tinkling of the water in that moment is a marvelous sound, fed by Lilli's happiness that she has been able to get them both this far, something that has never been asked of her before.

@[neverwhere] continued from the Forest.
    but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind

Messages In This Thread
    you could be the light in my dark night; neverwhere - by lilliana - 08-11-2019, 08:41 PM