• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  the living are hungry; ALL

the dead are gone

She limps out into the central clearing, shoulder stinging and heart heavy. She pauses at the edge for a moment, thinking back on the scene she’d just left. She sighs heavily. She knows what she must do, but, even now, she knows she hasn’t even begun to comprehend the amount of work that is ahead of her. There is so, so much to be done.

For now however, she should at least speak to her sisters.

She steps forward into the centre of the clearing (wincing at the dull pain in her shoulder) and calls to the sisters, raising her voice high above the din of the jungle. She waits for them to gather - there are so few of them these days - and then she begins.

“Sisters, I regret to inform you that Lagertha has disappeared.” She pauses, letting them take in the news, then takes a deep breath and carries on. “Yael was tending to the wounded after the raid, and in her exhaustion … something happened to her magic. The backlash killed some, and others simply … vanished. Lagertha among them.” She hopes that it means that Lagertha is still alive out there, somewhere, but there’s no way for them to know.

And now for the hard part. “In light of this, I ask if you will consider me to follow in her footsteps in the position of Khaleesi.” She pauses again, taking a moment to look at the gathered faces, to see if there is any shock or disapproval there. If there are any that would oppose her ascension to the throne, now is the time to find out. “If you will have me, I promise that I will do my utmost to lead you well.” She is, strangely enough, the logical choice. They have dwindled to so few, and she has been the most active among them.

“But before I do, I wish to know what desires, if any, you might have for the Jungle. Are there any kingdoms you would wish us to be allied with? Any that you would hope to avoid?” She has her own opinions of course, but a kingdom so small will not survive without communication and consensus. And she wants the Jungle to do more than just survive. “As well, do we have any new sisters here that might be interested in taking the oath?” She falls silent then, waiting patiently for her answers. Her mind wanders briefly, and she can’t help but wonder what her mother would think of her now. Lyris would scoff, most likely, at the idea of taking on so much responsibility - she’d always been one to skirt her duties. But, Lexa thinks and hopes, that the old lightning mare would’ve be proud of how far her eldest daughter has come.

and the living are hungry.

lexa.

PLEASE reply, even ooc (though I'd prefer IC if you can <3), to let me know if your character is still here, where you want them on the board, and what their hopes are for the Jungle. Smile

⍢Celeana⍢

The young girl enters the centre clearing, it seems she's the first to answer the call. Ebony glossed lobes swivel towards the singular equine within the clearing, as vibrant green jewels curiously meander over the appaloosa mare. The speckled girl dips her head silently as more equine fill the clearing. The atmosphere is silent and arid before the golden hoofed mare speaks up.

She had definitely called all of them here for a reason, Lagertha has vanished. Celeana hand't known Lagertha personally but she knew of her within the bounds of the Jungle. Her adoptive mother did speak of her when Celeana was a petite child but never had she been acquainted. For being within the Jungle for many years the girl felt ashamed of not being able to know or meet her, now she guessed that will never change. Since the sudden disappearance of their Khaleesi.

The mare before them she assumed was known as Lexa from the murmuring of few equine around her. Silence resumed it's natural tone as Lexa continued on suggesting herself as the next Khaleesi. Celeana had no reason to disagree with Lexa, she hadn't been here long. In fact she hardly knew the terrain only her way out of the kingdom and in. Otherwise the surrounding areas were unknown the the young girl. Deciding to speak up the silent girl allowed her youth filled vocals to be allowed into the arid atmosphere, "I am ready to take the oath." She answers with a tone of audacity. 

She had been waiting quite a while to be initiated into the sisterhood, too long in fact. 

Ass-Kicker Of Men

When the fangirl side of me comes out COMMANDER LEXA RISES XD
    Anyways Celeana is ready to take the oath... she's been waiting quite a while now.
    I know it's really bad too.... idk what i was doing at the end XD
    [Image: celeana1_zps6eonkecp.gif?w=480&h=480&fit...1483304507]
    i don't love you;
    but i always will.

A beat-up appaloosa summons them to the clearing.
    God, she looks like death warmed over, Riva thinks to herself.
    Her mind starts to drift until the battle-weary appaloosa says something about the gray Queen disappearing at the hands of another Queen, an ally even, and the paint’s ears snap forward to focus on every nuance of what is said. Inside her thin breast, her heart constricts painfully and it feels like the first time she was ever left alone all those long years ago, only this time the hurt isn’t the same as back then because Lagertha wasn’t tied to her by blood and breeding. But good god, it still hurt! She had looked up to the gray mare, liked her even, testy and battle-hard as she was, Riva had liked and respected her.

There isn’t much to say, she reserves judgment and saves it for a rainy day because she has never been acquainted with the appaloosa who now presents herself as the Queen in lieu of Lagertha. Well, she thinks, someone has to do it. She smells like she’s been a part of the Jungle for a long time so Riva supposes the mare is the best candidate for the job, or the most qualified anyway. So she doesn’t balk at the new Queening, but she doesn’t altogether leap for joy either. At least she asks for their opinion, guess that counts for something so Riva decides to give this one some time to see if she’ll make a success out of them all or turn the Jungle back into a complete failure and the laughingstock of all of Beqanna.

Geez, Riva has such a great outlook on everything right now.
    But that’s our bitter little mare and we love her, yes we do.
    (Not really!)

There is another eager apprentice to the sisterhood, and Riva flicks her eyes over the spotted mare. She is curious about the oath-taking, especially in light of how all the kingdoms have been stripped of their inherent magic. “In light of recent happenings, how are we to proceed with becoming initiated into the sisterhood?”

Riva

Odezsa
    Winter had come, and with it, symbolism. Death, loss, coldness. Odezsa could relate to all of the words, in more ways that one. For one thing, she now knew that Lagertha, the first person to show her any kindness in Beqanna, could be dead. I mean, she very well could still be out there alive, as the silver lady overheard a blanketed mare say. She was simply strolling through the jungle, her usual routine of absentmindedness, when she heard someone drop Lagertha's name. She moved towards the trio of ladies. If not death, this winter definitely brought loss. 

She did not recognize the mare speaking, but she did understand the severity of heaviness of what the mare was asking. Their Queen was gone. Odezsa had not spent much time under her rule, but she had taking quite a liking to the gray mare and enjoyed her company, no matter how bland it could be. Of course, Dez liked most people. Hell, she already liked this lady. Stepping up, asking to take the position as their fearless leader. That had to take a lot of guts. Odezsa could not imagine the responsibility and the pressure that would come with it. Another female speaks, again, someone Odezsa did not recognize. The realization that wandering aimlessly didn't exactly help her adjust to her new life as an amazonian dawned on her slowly, and then all at once. She simply had to get herself more out there! That's when she noticed Riva, whom she had only just met but mere days ago.

"Riva!" She exclaimed lightly, positioning herself beside what she considered yet another new friend. They were talking about oaths and iniation, and Odezsa's mind drifted to Ithaca, the young filly she met who seemed so eager to join a war. Come to think of it, she'd never taken an oath in her entire life. It actually sounded quite exciting, an oath. 

"My Queen," Odezsa began, bowing slightly before the black mare. Of course, had anyone else done this it may have seemed sarcastic, calling the mare queen in the midst of her making sure everyone was on board. But of course, the girl was just being polite and childlike in her understanding of social structure. She rose from her bow and smiled. "I would be honored to be initiated...or whatever is is we're doing."  

Then she glanced to the other stranger and back to the new leader. "I'm Odezsa, and what are your names?" 

all my friends are heathens, take it slow

the dead are gone

They come, those few that are left. Lexa nods in turn at the appaloosa, the paint, and the silvered buckskin. She hopes there are more, but at this point she’s not optimistic. All of Beqanna is struggling these days, and they are simply lucky to have as many as they do.

She is actually surprised when there isn’t even the faintest whisper or grimace at her suggestion that she take the crown - she doesn’t know any of these mares after all - but she supposes her time spent here must at least be evident, and she doubts any of these ladies want the responsibility themselves.

She returns the buckskin’s introduction - “please, call me Lexa” - and smiles when both the appaloosa and the buckskin speak up and voice their desires to take the oath. But the paint - Riva, as Odezsa calls her - voices an important point.

Lexa had been half way between on the Jungle’s borders when the fairy’s voice had rung out. She’d frozen, stunned, as her tattoos (a part of her identity for so long), had been burned away. The news that the kingdom she’d just fought for had been damaged beyond repair had only deepened her shock. But being only a lowly mortal, there is only so much she can do. They can only move forward.

“In the old days, the women of the Jungle had no tattoos to show their allegiance. Our sisters will say the words, and that will be enough. We do not need a binding magic to keep our sisters honest and loyal.” They’d managed without binding magic before, and they will do so again. “However, if you would like a mark - a scar of some kind, a symbol - I would love to hear your suggestions.” There are plants in the Jungle they could use to create dyes, and if they wish for scars, Lexa could assist with that using her abilities. She will wait for their opinions though, before asking Odezsa and the appaloosa to take the oath.

“As for kingdom relations …” Lexa glances amongst them quickly. “Who would you prefer us to offer alliances to?” The Deserts, which would have been her first choice, is obviously off the table. Personally she would like to avoid ties with the Chamber … but she will wait to hear what her sisters have to say before making any decisions.

and the living are hungry.

lexa.

YOU NEVER SAW IT FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, THE CRAFT THAT I PERFECTED GOT REJECTED
    AND THROWN OUT THE WINDOW WITH NO PROPER EXIT.
    I WAS HUMBLE, NOW I'M NOT AS PLEASANT. I'M DROPPING WRECKAGE ON YOUR SHADY DYNASTY.
    BITCH I'M NOT TO MESS WITH.

Still reeling from the shock of watching the little dragon etched upon her chest disappear as if it had never been, Draconis arrives at the scene of the tiny gathering. To her surprise, it is her friend Lexa that is hosting the meeting, and not their Khaleesi, Lagertha. Curiousier and curiousier, she thinks, until it becomes clear from the ongoing conversation that there is quite a good reason for Lexa to be hosting this meeting: there had been a passing off of the Jungle crown. Well, sort of. The firebreather had heard about the raid upon the Deserts, the attempt to take over its established monarchy, a raid that by the sound of it had gone sideways rather spectacularly. The Deserts drowned, all kingdom magics gone? That would explain why her marking had so randomly disappeared, she sourly realizes. Obviously, a mare who was abruptly swept away by another's magic would not have the time to choose a successor, but Draconis can think of no one better to lead the Jungle than her long-time friend. Lexa was an established presence in the Amazons' kingdom, she had dwelt here for all of her life and would never betray nor cause harm to it. The star-spotted girl listens as introductions are made, matching names to faces before offering her own. "Hello, I'm Draconis. "She is unsure of current kingdom relations, but offers up a suggestion nonetheless, wanting to contribute *something* to her sisters' gathering. "The Falls, perhaps? "

There's a song in your lung and a dream in your eye.

It is so very easy to become lost in the depths of the Jungle. Oh, she is not truly lost, she knows exactly where she is. But time seems to have lost all meaning to her. After the war, she had grown so tired. Tired of life and love and pain and war. And she had retreated, losing herself amidst the leaves and vines and thick humidity of her home.

It had been far too easy to do. And now, perhaps, she is paying for it.

It isn’t until the tattoos scrawled across her skin disappear that she realizes she had idled too much time away. That she had allowed herself to become so immersed in the depth and beauty of the Jungle that she had lost all track of what has been occurring in the outside world. And now she cannot help but wonder.

The mare that emerges from the dense foliage is both harder and softer than the one who had first entered. Her time alone is given her an introspection hard to find anywhere else, one that she had so sorely needed. But it had also made her realize just how cruel and callous the world truly is.

She does not doubt she will need both to survive in these new, turbulent times.

She emerges to find Lagertha gone and Lexa addressing a small assembly of women. Celeana is there, and it gladdens her heart to see the girl so strong and sure of herself, ready to pledge herself in service to the Jungle. Draconis she recognizes also, but the others are new. She has missed much, it seems.

She dwells in the shadows for a time, listening to what has occurred. Her cracked skin is dark at first, but as Lexa continues, short, erratic pulses of light begin to flicker along the fissures delineating every inch of her body. She does not speak, but she finally moves forward, joining the group as they discuss their options. She has no objections against Lexa taking the throne, so feels no need to offer input on that matter. It isn’t until Lexa asks for suggestions on who to ally with that she offers a comment of her own.

”I, of course, advocate for the Dale.” Her brother sits on that throne after all. She pauses then, considering her next words carefully. Having been a participant in the recent war, it is not a suggestion she takes lightly. ”And perhaps it is time to seek peace with the Chamber.”

Her suggestion is entirely one of preservation. They do not currently have the strength to stand against them alone.

Joscelin

Tiphon x Elysteria

html c insane | picture c mikanicole.deviantart.com
    i don't love you;
    but i always will.

“Odezsa,” she inclines her head in recognition of the silver buckskin mare; the paint was fast becoming a little too soft for her own liking but Odezsa was quite bubbly and it became infectious, how else could Riva not take a shine to her? She offers her friend a small smile and settles in to listen to what there was to be said. Riva too, will swear an oath to the Jungle and the sisters, for herself and for Lagertha’s memory.

She likes what the Queen - no, Lexa, has to say about all of the oath-taking and their oaths being enough. Riva thinks she might approach the appaloosa later on to discuss the matter of a scar or something, just a small mark to show her token of fealty to the Jungle. Something about this Queen scarring her flesh speaks to a part of Riva that she has long ignored since being here. Then the appaloosa talks of kingdom relations and she can only think of the Dale, because of a stallion she knows there.

But others come, and others talk.
    The last two smell keenly of the Jungle, as if they have been thoroughly embraced by her - swallowed up and spat back out, and the paint knows in time, she will come to smell that same way. They advocate for the neutral kingdoms naturally, and it seems that at the Falls is active enough to request an alliance with. The Dale, she would have voiced it herself but the bay with the odd pulsating emissions of light from her skin does so before Riva can. There too, is the suggestion of peace with the Chamber and something tugs harshly at her heart - Lagertha would never have considered that, not so soon after their home had been burned so callously to the ground. Still, it is not her place to say no to the idea - it is Lexa’s, and she is curious as to what the answer will be in regards to that suggestion.

“I will take the oath,” is all that she has to say to them all.
    “We might consider the Tundra again too, they seem to be rather active…” and she has heard of how they’ve allowed mares entrance into their ranks now. The rumors have flown all over the field in the midst of her few recruiting attempts.

Riva

all my friends are heathens, take it slow

Life only seemed to be looking up for the lively mare. Two new sisters had shown themselves, and Odezsa tried very hard to keep silent and not disrupt the meeting by asking their names and their backstories- which she was of course dying to find out from all of the mares gathered before her. It was so fascinating to her that everyone she encountered was living their own life. Everyone had a story, and she hoped with all of her heart their stories were good ones to be told, but of course, not everyone could be so lucky. 

The other mares offered up suggestions for alliances and the slight mask of confusion on Odesza's face was not easy to miss. Her brows knit together and she realized she'd spent almost all of her time in Beqanna frolicking through the common lands or in her new home in the Jungle. She hardly knew many people well enough to decide if they were at all worth trusting. Surely, everyone had something to offer. But she had no real way to know, besides blind hope and dangerous optimism. 

She listened patiently, her mind storing every name of a possible alliance. For Odezsa, this was all almost like a strategy game you'd play as a child. Who would help keep you safe, and who would watch you fall? Perhaps missing the scorching of the Jungle kept her naive and unable to see just how real the threats pressing the females were. She counted in her head, the amazon's numbers too weak to take on any real threats. She knew at least that to be true.

"Vaughan." It's all she can manage at first. The mare hardly realized she'd spoken out loud and her face went blank for a moment while she tried to gain her composure and address more ladies than she'd known in her life. "Lagertha seemed to have bad blood with Vaughan. I don't know their story, but I can't imagine being friendly towards his snarky self." Of course, Odezsa only met Vaughan once. He'd come to sweep her away, and the word Tundra echoed in her mind because she could almost swear that is where he claimed to be from.

"Of course, if the Tundra is his home and beneficial to us...." She trailed off, already feeling quite dumb for speaking and even sillier for thinking her hardly formed opinion had any real substance. She smiled shyly, then tried to redeem herself with, "I'll take the oath too!" Back to her usual chipper self.

Odesza

I am not afraid.
    Celeana
    Celeana hadn't seen Joscelin since the war and, when her adoptive mother came into view. Celeana couldn't help but allow a smile to form upon her lips. The girl trotted towards Joscelin, nuzzling the delicately cracked mare's shoulder. "I've missed you."  She whispered, nipping at the mare's mane in an affectionate manner.

Perking her lobes the girl focused on the conversation on hand instead of her reunion with Joscelin. She remains silent throughout much of the conversation, only does the girl dare to speak when the tundra is brought up. She had met many of their diplomats in the field, now that they had allowed mares to join their ranks, they had been more efficient in recruiting lately. Then she thinks of the Falls stallion she had met previously, he was strong headed and ignorant towards other kingdoms. Especially the Jungle. 

"I'm Celeana" The girl pauses gathering the thoughts within her head before allowing them to be released."The King and Queen of the Falls are always reasonable, I'm sure they would be willing to create an alliance." The appaloosa mare stated, allowing her gaze to fall on Lexa. "Although, I've found a couple of their diplomats seem to hold something against us." She's unsure why they hold a grudge against her kingdom. When she was a child she was too young to understand anything within her kingdom, now that she had grown older everything had begun to make sense. Alliances and treaties, diplomats and warriors, steals and mocks. Everything made sense now. And she wanted to contribute.
    [Image: celeana1_zps6eonkecp.gif?w=480&h=480&fit...1483304507]