Beqanna
[private] blackbird on my shoulder - Printable Version

+- Beqanna (https://beqanna.com/forum)
+-- Forum: OOC (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+---- Forum: Lands (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+----- Forum: Nerine (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+----- Thread: [private] blackbird on my shoulder (/showthread.php?tid=24591)

blackbird on my shoulder - litotes - 08-15-2019

boy what's normal to you? 'cause that sure ain't normal to me.

Bitterness is a handsome look for Litotes. It sharpens his features to a chiseled stone, glitters coldly in his eyes, turns his ears permanently backward. He looks brooding, but not in the way of the somber boy that almost drowned in the lake so many years ago. There is a seriousness set behind his eyes, not one that screams he does not know how to laugh, but one that screams he cannot.

He used to know how to laugh. He used to laugh at what little joy he could find.

Diplomacy is the King’s only distraction. There are the occasional outings with his children, but even those moments feel as dull and as gray as an overcast sky. Kelynen reminds him of Kensa’s overabundant love and how she still could not extend it to their son. Brunhilde offers him uncharacteristic gentility and smothering favors. Draco and Dove . . . look exactly like their mother. A mother Litotes has avoided since his once wife laid her claim upon Starsin like a dog marking its territory: others can be welcome, but the constellation woman is the Primarch’s.

A laugh should leave his mouth now - a cold one. It does not. His eyes remain lifeless.

Nerine is the polar opposite of Pangea; so Litotes finds that its impending autumn chill and blackened rocks are enough to bring some spark to his eyes. He lifts his head as the border arrives. Diplomacy it is, he thinks, wondering if he will ever be able to leave his head again. Hiding behind the responsibilities of his crown will not cradle him forever.

“Heartfire,” Litotes calls, finding that a stranger’s name tastes strange in his mouth. He scans the surrounding foliage, curious if the vision-taker will find the East of enough importance to make an appearance.

and if i fall would you know that to do?
and if i'm caught up would you stay?

Litotes

@[Heartfire] is this diplomatic or is lie going to cry....tune in

RE: blackbird on my shoulder - Heartfire - 08-19-2019

She's got the devil's eyes

The past few days have been busy ones for the northern queen. Of course, that’s to be expected, given the current state of Beqanna. But she finds that she rather misses the moments she’d had to herself. The ones she so often found herself lost in, exploring and discovering secrets that are not hers. Some are useless secrets. But some. Oh, some could topple kingdom’s if one knew the right ways to ply them.

But alas, today she finds herself with another visitor at her borders. A familiar one, for all that they have only had the opportunity to meet once. Still, where truths remain buried, there one can often find Heartfire. And, well, Heartfire has a feeling this particular Primarch should likely invest in a shovel.

She is already moving to intercept him when he sends her name into the wind. Words are easily lost to the exposed cliffs and hardy grasses, but she is near enough to hear. Still, she makes no move to reply until she closes the distance between them, her eyes a sharp, clear blue as they fix upon the pale stallion with unerring ease and a faintly curious gleam.

She wonders what might have brought Litotes to her kingdom. He had allied himself unquestioningly with Castile, and given the tenuous nature of Nerine’s relationship with Loess, it is curious that he had come without a Loessian representative in tow. Unless, of course, he had begun to question his alliance with the dragon king.

Although, given what she had learned from her recent with Kensa, she does rather have a feeling there are motives beyond the obvious here.

“Litotes,” she greets easily as she settles a comfortably conversational distance from him. “I must admit I hadn’t expected you to visit. Are you reconsidering your alliance with Castile?”

and they'll cut you like a weapon

Heartfire

RE: blackbird on my shoulder - litotes - 08-23-2019

A frown turns the corners of Litotes’ lips downward when Heartfire approaches. It is not that her company is unpleasant, or that he finds himself anxious around her, but that he knows he should have called upon her sooner. The East’s changes came long ago, so long in fact that the cremello has fully settled into his seat next to Dawn. He is also aware that the Nerinian queen is probably not partial to Castile’s antics and that may . . . dampen their conversation.

Still, the Archon thinks he might surprise the Khaleesi. At least, he thinks he can offer her a piece of himself she will find useful. Loess’ dragon king has never heard the logical, analytical voice of reason Litotes possesses, and the cremello finds that it might be time that he does. Not for Heartfire, or any particular political ally, but for the settling of Beqanna and sparing of lives. Lie has faced far too much misery to want to stick his magic between conflicting parties again, and the timing lines up that he may act as a voice of reason.

Well, he will attempt to. There are never guarantees, especially in a land lead by such volatile creatures.

“Reconsidering?” he questions, then cocks his head to the left. There is a genuine curiosity in his eyes when he speaks, and a quiet smile replaces his contemplative frown. “Is there bad blood between the North and the South? I can’t say I know of it.” It is the truth, and he would offer his memories to Heartfire if he did not think she is already peeling through them. “I have been particularly . . . preoccupied. Politics have not been on my mind.” He pauses, casts an appreciative gaze over the Khaleesi’s face. “Poor ruling, I know.” His grin would be sheepish if he truly thought he was bad at his job, but he does not. After all, his rise to one of the top seats of Beqanna was not handed to him.

Litotes clears his throat and blinks. “If Castile is making enemies with you, then I do not know why, and perhaps he is being brash. Do you care to elaborate?”

Litotes

@[Heartfire]

RE: blackbird on my shoulder - Heartfire - 08-27-2019

Heartfire had learned a long time ago that everyone has hidden facets. Pieces of themselves easily overlooked, easily buried beneath the things the world tries to force them to be. Heartfire would never be so foolish as to truly discount anyone. Indeed, she’s often found the greatest surprises seem to come from the most unlikely sources.

And, well, for all that Litotes had torn Pangea from its former kingdom to ally himself with Castile, Heartfire is well aware that he is a wild card. After all, it’s that very trait that had brought him to Castile’s side.

And if it can be done once, it can certainly happen again.

He meets her pointed question with curiosity rather than defensiveness. A fact that offers a great deal of insight as to the strength of his connection with the southern kingdom. Only a fool would not explore that thread further. And Heartfire is certainly no fool.

A glint of amusement crosses her blue eyes as he self-deprecatingly reveals his recent disinterest in politics. Of course, it’s not news to her. But then, she’s always been interested in politics. Perhaps too much so. “I can’t say I haven’t appreciated the disinterest some kingdom’s have in the political state of things.” Her lips tilt faintly at that, an almost display of humor. “It certainly makes my life easier.”

That near candid relief of her admission is followed by an expanse of silence in which she closely considers Litotes after his request to elaborate. While the answer is hardly a secret, the way in which she chooses to answer could certainly influence how Litotes perceives it.

“I would not say Castile and I are enemies, per se,” she replies thoughtfully after a time. “He is merely… laying the stonework.” Her gaze hardens faintly, turning briefly to the south before returning the Litotes. When she continues, her tone is frank, the faint bite displaying clearly enough that she can see how the chips are falling. “While I respected his decision not to pursue an alliance, the move on Taiga has quite aptly demonstrated he has no respect for mine.”

Heartfire

RE: blackbird on my shoulder - litotes - 09-03-2019

Litotes’ head tilts in surprise, his eyes flashing in both irritation near-shock. The purse of his lips gives him even more away, but for once he does not mind. Here, in the depths of policy, he thinks it might be best to show his hand - not always, never, but he is tired of the strange facades they all seem to wear (these talking heads of Beqanna).

“The taking of Taiga was by Castile’s order?” This he questions out of genuine interest, though there is certainly a prickling agitation he manages to mask. How terribly out of the loop he has been. He reasons with his anger for a moment, knowing that his allies are not entirely to blame for his . . . slipping away. “When Lepis spoke to me it certainly seemed like she and Wolfbane were acting on their own terms.” This he adds, hoping that entrusting this bit of knowledge to Heartfire will strengthen any trust. He knows she can just steal knowledge from him, but he also knows an offering to be far more appetizing.

A memory of asking if he should watch his tongue around Heartfire flashes behind his eyes. The corners of Lie’s lips turn down in a pronounced frown. Lepis is a calculated creature, one that chose her words wisely around the Archon. He nearly snorts in disapproval, finding some bitter irritation coloring the back of his throat.

“Is it your crown they want?” This he asks as bluntly as he can while staring the Khaleesi directly in the eye. He wonders if there is some bad blood between them, if Lepis and Wolfbane are acting on revenge just as he once did (though that gut feeling of his tells him otherwise, and he swallows). “I am not sure I appreciate that kind of chaos purely because it suits them, and Lepis did not indicate to me she had any plans . . . or reasons for such plans.” He snorts and stomps a hoof, finding the ground that crumbles beneath his weight particularly satisfying.

Litotes

@[Heartfire]

RE: blackbird on my shoulder - Heartfire - 09-16-2019

It surprises her not at all that he has so little knowledge of Castile, Lepis, and Wolfbane’s plans. They had certainly chosen not to share them widely. Indeed, even for a woman of her rather far-reaching capabilities, it had been a struggle to obtain the information she had. In fact, she had only managed to confirm her suspicions by confronting Lepis directly about it.

Of course, when one has the insights Heartfire does, it’s not difficult to apply leverage in the right places to gain the information she desires. And Lepis, for all her close-lipped confidence, is an easy woman to locate the weaknesses in. One need only pinch at her pride to cause her confidences to spill.

And spill they had.

She eyes Litotes openly, considering his surprise at her words, the restless shifting of his pale frame, the obvious agitation at realizing things had been kept from him. Though Heartfire could never claim to be an open book, she does wonder why they would choose to keep such things from their allies. Especially knowing she would likely object as she had.

It would be utterly foolish for them to expect to take all of Beqanna bloodlessly.

“It was done with Castile’s blessing,” she replies bluntly, the truth of that statement easily visible in the hard, unforgiving glint the settles in the blue of her eye. Her features are stony as she continues, her displeasure at the circumstances clear. “Whether it began with Lepis and Wolfbane is irrelevant, it was done with his knowledge and support.”

Were she a crueler and more petty woman, she might wonder aloud if Castile had ever had such an original thought. But she is not, nor does she desire the backlash such a comment might bring. Still, it has become increasingly clear, over these last months, that most of what had occurred lately had rarely started in Castile’s head. But they always seemed to have his fingerprints all over them nevertheless.

It’s also becoming increasingly clear that Litotes is not nearly so enamored of Castile as she’d once thought. A mistake to believe so on her part, but one she is quite glad to see she was mistaken about. And in the wake of the understanding, she pushes harder than she might normally have, not willing to miss her chance to impress upon Litotes exactly the nature of the man he had allied himself to.

“I doubt Lepis had any true desire to share her plans with me, but…” she pauses then, a faintly satisfied smile briefly crossing her lips. “Let us just say she has far too much pride for her own good.” Her gaze cools once more as she fixes it with unerring directness on Litotes. “She informed me herself she plans to either make a play for the Northern throne or secede Taiga and align it to Loess. Either way, she made clear her plans to ally with Castile and revealed his knowledge of those plans.”

It had been a mistake for Lepis to tell her those things. But then, Heartfire has always been a woman who thrives on others' mistakes.

Heartfire

RE: blackbird on my shoulder - litotes - 09-19-2019

Shame builds like bile in the back of Litotes’ throat. He peers at Heartfire with an equally hard gaze, gritting his teeth to hold back whatever response he may want to snap out. His anger is not directed at the Khaleesi, but he feels as if its fire is being stoked, and maybe she is getting in the way.

The Archon has never claimed to be a steady man, and he may burn all in his path.

A madman’s smile wants to creep up his lips at the thought of Castile offering gasoline to the wildfire Lepis has created. They are peas in a pod, he thinks, both of a kind of furious ambition the cremello lost a long time ago. He is a much quieter man, a somber one, one that does not understand this violence when it is unneeded (and when it is not his own unchecked anger). He purses his lips and blinks away the irritable haze.

Surely Heartfire has a solution.

Or perhaps she does not, and Litotes will do something brash.

“I spoke with Lepis with no idea of their plans. This leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, Heartfire. My own allies making moves and asking for my loyalty without divulging the full scope of their . . . ambitions.” He pauses, settles eyes like swords upon the roan woman. “What trust I had is gone. I may be acting quickly, but I believe I can offer you the East’s backing should it come to war. I cannot condone an empire that wants to exist purely to be an empire.”

The silence is sudden between them, and the cremello tilts his head to the side as if realizing something. “I will need to speak with Dawn, actually, but I do not think she will mind stepping away from Loess. I would also like to speak with Castile. Should you have anything you need to say to him, I can relay it.”

Litotes

@[Heartfire]

RE: blackbird on my shoulder - Heartfire - 10-08-2019

A faint smile tilts the corners of her lips as Heartfire considers Litotes, blue eyes gleaming inscrutably in the dark mask of her features. Castile, it seems, would be the architect of his own demise in many ways. Apparently he had not learned the art of not alienating his own allies. Heartfire, for all her surreptitious dealings, had made a point of offering her own allies just as much as she would gain from them. Her knowledge is their knowledge, such as it is. There is value of keeping things close to the vest, of course, but Castile seemed to be rather ham-handed with that particular ability.

She can appreciate the anger that builds in Litotes at the realization of just what had been kept from him. She had known such anger herself, more than once. The only difference between the two is that Heartfire directed that anger into a laser focus, her patience honing it until it became as sharp and lethal as a perfectly aimed dagger between the ribs.

“I am doing what I can to avoid war,” she replies after a thoughtful moment, “but you know Castile. It may be unavoidable. And he has allowed his own confidence to expand his head until it clouds his entire vision, it seems.”

She shrugs faintly at that, as though to say there was nothing to be done for it. She had, after all, offered Castile ample opportunity to avoid such things. She had never inserted herself into the middle of his squabbles. Never declared herself his enemy. He had chosen that path on his own in his greedy lust for power.

“Actually, I need to speak to Castile as well. Perhaps I can join you. I could also take the opportunity to explain the benefits of allying yourself with Nerine to Dawn.” Her blue gaze fixes on Litotes, one corner of her lips quirking slightly. She is not one to waste an opportunity, after all.

Heartfire