Beqanna
i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Printable Version

+- Beqanna (https://beqanna.com/forum)
+-- Forum: OOC (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+---- Forum: Lands (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+----- Forum: Loess (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=88)
+----- Thread: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli (/showthread.php?tid=22945)

Pages: 1 2

i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Pteron - 02-11-2019

Exploring the rugged kingdom by foot would have taken months. The land is steep and rocky, and the footpaths weave back and forth along the ridges of the hill. Pteron, with his wings, is not bound to them. He explores the land from above, covering more ground in the span in a half hour than he might have done in a day on foot. The cool wind in his face counteracts the warmth of the summer sun that floats directly overhead, and blows back the growing length of his white mane. The red earth of Loess becomes a blur as he picks up speed, soaring up up up just to plummet back to earth.

He lands in a puff of dust, wings flared at the last moment to catch his weight. Precision is his strong suit – endurance is not. He has been flying for nearly an hour, after all, and while it is the fastest mode of travel, it is not always the best for finding new places. Pteron is always on the search for new places.

Pteron has landed near the base of a cliff, and around him rise tall walls of red stone. He’d seen something green in the cliffs when he’d flown over them, but there hadn’t been a place to land. He can’t see what it might have been from here though, and he clambers up a rock that was knee-high for a better vantage point. No, nothing from her either. Maybe that next ledge... or the next?

WhenIt is only when he sees the greenery (there, a copse at the bottom of that canyon) does the yearling take stock of where he is. Balanced precariously on a thin ledge of stone, he has one wing stretched up flat against the rock above to narrow himself, and the other hanging down into the air to even out his weight. Hmm. Perhaps not the best situation. Pteron can see water sparkling on the canyon floor but he’s not sure how to get there from where he stands. His wings are too wide to fly, but the slope of the rock suggests that the stone might widen closer to the water.

While weighing his options, Pteron catches a flicker of motion. There, about twenty feet below (quite near where he’d first landed) is a stranger. Perhaps they haven’t seen him, Pteron reasons, and immediately vanishes from sight.

@[Everli]

RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Everli - 02-12-2019

She isn’t sure why she is here.

As she grew older – though she was still young, less than half a year – it was more often that she drifted from her mother’s side, cautiously exploring the rest of what Beqanna had to offer. There was so much more to this big world than the small corner that she shared with her mother. Even though she enjoyed the quiet, and preferred to be nestled in her mother’s warm side when night fell, there was still a part of her little heart that wanted friends. Someone closer to her age, someone to laugh and play all the games she had seen other children playing. Little Everli has always been too shy to approach any of them, and so she had simply watched; their laughter ringing in her ears, their joyous thoughts echoing in her mind. It was easier to simply imagine what might be, rather than risk rejection.

Loess didn’t seem like a likely place to find friends, and yet, she is here. It is close enough to the forest that she and her mother frequented that she should be able to to explore it, and make it back before nightfall. She isn’t sure if she is imagining it, but it almost seems hotter here than the other places she has been, which she assumes it is from the lack of trees. In the forest, she was shaded by the great limbs of the trees, but here, in the wide expanse, there is nothing to hinder the summer sunshine that spilled across her mulberry and blue skin. 

The terrain here was not particularly friendly, either, as her small hooves followed a winding path up a rocky hillside. It was lovely, but unforgiving – not at all something that she was used to. She was beginning to regret choosing this particular path, but when she tilts her head upward, something pale and blue catches her eye. She blinks her warm brown eyes, and just as she realizes that it’s a boy not much older than her, he vanishes. Her eyes widening in alarm, she continues her trek upwards, calling out hesitantly to what could very well be no one at all, ”Hello?” Her voice is incredibly quiet, almost carried away by a swift breeze that ripples through the canyon. She stills her movements, a dejected sigh fluttering from her blue lips. There must be something wrong with her, when complete strangers choose to disappear at the very sight of her.

- - E V E R L I

@[Pteron]

RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Pteron - 02-17-2019

Though he has vanished from sight, the colt remains poised on the narrow precipice. He holds his breath lest the sound reach her, but when the question she asks reaches him in barely more than a whisper, he releases a long sigh. She’s too far away to hear him; she won’t know Pteron is still there – just invisible.

He relaxes just a little too much.

He’d been leaning just a bit too much to the side, and as he rolls his shoulder, his delicate balance is suddenly offset. There is no room to spread his wings and catch his fall, though they do flare out – visible along with the rest of his falling body – just to slam into the narrow walls of the canyon.  

Thud, crunch, a few cracks and then a whoosh of dust as the yellow (and now a bit red) yearling collapses in a heap at Everli’s feet.

“Hello!” says the colt when his mouth is working again. His head is usually the first bit of him to come back; his mother said its because the brain is the center of the body. (Which is obviously wrong because his head is at the very end of his neck. His stomach is obviously the center, which explains why Pteron is perpetually hungry.) Within a few more seconds the rest of him is up again, standing on bloodied (but somehow unbroken) legs. “I thought maybe I was gonna get in trouble. I dunno if I’m allowed to climb on these rocks.” The nearly white colt gives her a slightly pink grin, unaware of the strangeness of what he’s just done.

“I’m Pteron!”

@[Everli]

RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Everli - 02-24-2019

There was nothing that could prepare her for what she was about to witness.

From up above, the rapidly falling body of the colt is suddenly visible. She cringes everytime he slams into the rocky canyon wall, her brown eyes widening in alarm when he ends his descent in a heap at her feet, a cloud of dust rising in his wake. She stumbles backwards, truly debating her decision to come here, and honestly certain she had just witnessed her first — and hopefully last — death.

But then he speaks, seemingly unfazed by what had just happened. She can do nothing but just stare at him for a long while (likely just a few seconds, but it felt much longer), unblinking and confused. She glances upwards to where he had fallen from, and then looks back to him, slowly blinking. “Are you….are you okay?” She reaches a dark blue muzzle forward to gently touch a red scrape on his pale skin, the shock having finally wore off and concern settling in its place.  ”You’re lucky you didn’t die, that was a, um...rough landing.”

“I’m Everli,” She says in response to his own introduction, offering him a slightly uncertain smile. ”Why wouldn’t you be allowed to climb the rocks? Is it because you’re not very good at it?” Despite her shyness there is an amused glimmer in her soft brown eye, stifling a quiet laugh as she says it.
Everli

@[Pteron]

RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Pteron - 02-26-2019

He seems to have disturbed the filly somehow, if her expression and slow blinking are any indication. Pteron tilts his head curiously as he waits for an answer, taking the moment to roll his shoulders as they readjust to being whole and having the proper accouterment of attached muscle. While the dun has never fallen from quite that high, it hadn’t been nearly as terrible as he’d anticipated when it began. Like all the toher times, there had been a moment of intense and burning pain, and then: nothing. He is fine, fully healed in the time it takes to fill his reformed lungs twice with air.

‘Are you okay?’ she asks, and Pteron nods, his olive eyes following her movements as she reaches forward to where scraped skin has knit itself together and left only a bit of blood on his pale hair to show it had been there at all. “I’m fine!” he reassures her. “Just a little fall.”

Though the smile she gives him is uncertain, Everli does answer his question, introducing herself and then asking after his adventures up on the rocks. His eyes narrow slightly at the insinuation in Everli’s last question, but his smile doesn’t fade. She is teasing him, he knows, and while it feels strange to hear it from someone other than his father, it isn’t the sort of strange that feels bad. It’s just different.

“I’m actually a really good climber,” the colt tells her, the bravado in his adolescent voice fitting the way he glances up the canyon wall and the proud puff of his narrow chest. “I just lost my balance a little bit. But I got really high up there, so I must be good.”

@[Everli]

RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Everli - 03-10-2019

It does not go unnoticed by her that his skin has slowly repaired itself. The sight causes her to withdraw, another perplexed look flashing briefly across her face. Being born here, she was not ignorant to the magic scattered across the land, but truthfully, she was only familiar with her own. She thinks being able to heal would be a much nicer ability than reading minds — she hated when she accidentally read someone’s thoughts. It felt like she had invaded on something she wasn’t meant to to, even though they often never knew she had done it. The older she got the easier it was to control, thankfully, and as she watches the pale colt, she carefully keeps herself from hearing his thoughts.

She tilts her small head when he says he’s a good climber, the sun glinting off the translucent horn that spirals from the center of her forehead. “I suppose that does mean you’re a good climber,” she concedes with an amused upward lift of her lips. “It’s your descent that could use some practice.” For a moment, she almost forgot how painfully shy she could be. The colt falling literally to her feet had briefly shattered the invisible barrier she often felt trapped behind, but she could feel herself slowly becoming self-conscious again. Maybe he didn’t like being teased? Maybe he thought she was being annoying?

She falls quiet then, ducking her blue head as her gaze drifts from Pteron’s face to look across what she could see of the kingdom. Loess was beautiful, in a harsh, unforgiving way, with the clusters of jagged rocks and cliffs, and the coarse terrain. She looks back to him, her soft brown eyes once again finding his with the intention of asking a question. She notices then that his eyes are green — not like the emerald green of the grass, and not quite as dark as the pine needles of the trees in the forest. Just their own shade of green that she hasn’t seen before. “You have pretty eyes.” She says it before she even realizes it, and almost instantly she can feel the immense heat that floods her cheeks. That was definitely something she had meant to think to herself, and never say out loud. A little too quickly, she follows it with her now quiet, slightly stammering voice, “Um, what I meant was, do you live here?”
Everli

@[Pteron]

RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Pteron - 04-07-2019

Pteron has spent a significant amount of time with his parents and to knows how to respond to a compliment. Saying nice things to others is perfectly normal to the dun colt, and he smiles in response to Everli’s comment. 

“Thank you. I grew them myself.”

He has, actually, grown and regrown them several times. It doesn’t occur to him that this fact is as strange as his physical recovery; Pteron is simply trying to be funny. Wolfbane is funny, and it is Pteron’s ultimate goal to become just like his father. Everli’s earlier teasing has made him feel much less awkward than he might have otherwise; he feels at ease with her no differently does with the friends that he has known for much longer.

The young pegasus is quite trusting, after all, and when she had suggested that he might need some practice with descent is something that he knows to be true. So Pteron had rolled his shoulders in a shrug – what can ya do? - and laughed softly.

“I do live here,” he tells her, his green eyes sharpening in focus on the ombre filly as her voice inexplicably changes tone. Had he said something, he wonders? No changing it if he had, he supposes, and adds: “You don’t though, do you?” Perhaps she is visiting, he thinks, or – could he be so lucky?! - on a diplomatic mission. “What brings you to Loess?”

@[Everli]

RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Everli - 04-25-2019

She is once again caught blinking in puzzlement and surprise at the pale colt, who seemed to have the most peculiar answers for everything. Her shy compliment had thankfully not been taken strangely, but she cannot tell what he means by saying he grew them himself. She assumed he was joking at first; but then something in the way he said it seemed vaguely serious? She remembers how just moments before, after his less than graceful landing, his skin had knit itself back together. She wants to ask him, but it sounded strange even in her own head (and briefly she panics, hoping that he can’t read minds), and so she doesn’t.

It is by accident that she hears him ask himself if he had said something to make her tone of voice change, and even though he would have no idea idea, she can feel her skin flush hot around her face. She hated reading minds. She hated it even more when she did it on accident. She was getting better at controlling it, but whenever she was feeling especially nervous or flustered, she simply couldn’t help it. Pteron made her nervous, but not entirely in a bad way – which was a conflicting feeling. He was friendly, and didn’t seem bothered by her presence, but he was also cute, and had this nagging feeling that she sounded like a fool everytime she talked.

“No, I don’t live here,” she shakes her head to the side along with her words, and for a second she is afraid that maybe she wasn’t supposed to be here. She hesitates for a moment, before adding a little tentatively, “I just wanted to explore. Loess seemed pretty.” In her nerve-addled mindset, she does not even realize that his thought about a diplomatic visit had been just that – a thought – and she says with a faint frown of confusion, “What’s a diplomat? I don’t think I’m one of those.”
Everli

@[Pteron]

RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Pteron - 04-26-2019

It feels as though they are having two separate conversations: the one he says aloud and the one he watches on her face. In the back of his mind, he knows that communication is more than words, but he has always thought of the words as the most important – everything else was just emphasis. Yet the blue filly doesn’t quite respond to his words, so he must be saying something he doesn’t mean to with his own mannerism. What though? He straightens his posture a little bit, pressing his wings a bit closer to his sides and standing just a bit taller than his earlier slouch.

Be confident, he says to himself – and perhaps also to Everli.

This has all taken place in the matter of a few seconds, and so when the mulberry girl confirms that she doesn’t live in Loess, Pteron has renewed confidence in himself (and in his, what-seems-to-be poor sense of humor).

“I’ll have to take you captive then.” He tells her, his olive eyes serious. “Strangers aren’t aloud to explore if they’re not diplomats.”

Mother has told him not to lie unless it is necessary, but Father has been somewhat lax on what counts as necessary. Teasing her in retaliation for the comment she’d made on his climbing ability feels like necessity, though he can’t quite put into words why that might be. Hopefully she’ll think its funny, that he’s funny, and then she’ll like him. Pteron does feel it’s necessary that she likes him, and so his conscious is assuaged.

Having made no move to take her captive, Pteron suddenly remembers that he had never actually asked if she was a diplomat. But how? He frowns, but answers. “You know, horses that visit other kingdoms, make treaties, stuff like that. I’m a diplomat-in-training.” (Clearly in training still, since he finds making seemingly peaceful strangers threats of captivity). “I’m a warrior-in-training too,” Pterons adds, throwing her a sidelong glance from where he’s turned his head, hoping that this impresses her.

@[Everli]

RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; everli - Everli - 05-12-2019

Everli knew almost nothing about kingdoms. She isn’t sure what diplomats and warriors are, but they sound important, and for a moment she almost becomes apprehensive. If it weren’t for her mind reading, the colt could have easily had her fooled. Even with being able to peek inside of his mind, there is a brief flicker of alarm in her bright eyes, before she realizes that he was only kidding. “Captive?” She echoes him, making sure to look properly surprised, even though there is silent amusement glittering in her dark eyes. “Well, I guess if it’s the rules, you better follow them.” She could feel herself beginning to relax with colt, and she had to keep her laughter from bubbling from her chest to her mouth as she struggled to keep up her act.

She realizes that he notices that certain things in their conversation weren’t adding up, and she can feel a blush begin to rise to her cheeks again. Oh no, he knows. He’s going to think she’s a freak, or worse, think that she’s doing it on purpose to try and spy on him. This was exactly why she tried to keep her trait to herself; she didn’t want anyone to think she was weird, or that they couldn’t trust her. She was usually so cautious, and of course she had managed to mess up when it actually counted.

Having heard his thoughts, she is surprised when he doesn’t say anything. Instead, he seemed to brush it off, perhaps as an odd coincidence that she just happened to bring up something he had only been thinking.  Whatever the reason, she releases a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding He didn’t know; her secret was still safe. “A warrior?” This time, the admiration in her voice is genuine. She was so soft and quiet, she couldn’t imagine ever being strong enough to fight with someone. “But...couldn’t you die?”
Everli

@[Pteron]